Monument record NBN 006 - Ring ditch of unknown date, visible as a cropmark.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2613 4330 (42m by 42m)|
|Civil Parish||NEWBOURNE, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Ring ditch, circa 30m diameter (single)(S1). One of a group of three in same field (also NBN 005 & 016) with more in field to S (NBN 002-004 & 022) & N (NBN 001).
A ring ditch of unknown date and function is visible as a cropmark on aerial photographs, to the west of Newbourne village, Newbourne parish. The ditch is between 1 and 2 metres and a possible entrance may be seen on the north-eastern side. The area enclosed is circa 25 metres in diameter. It is not possible to confidently ascribe a date or function to this feature from the aerial photographs alone, particularly as the ring ditches which appear to form a group with this site (see NBN 006, BNB 016) are all of differing diameters. The could be interpreted variously as small barrow cemetery group or an unenclosed settlement of later prehistoric date, possibly associated with the field system to the south-west (NBN ???). (S2)
- <R1> SSF16488 (No record type): Post Office Research Centre, Martlesham Heath, AP, Run 1, HSL UK 70 1034 26 June 1970, photo 0150, (.
- <S1> SSF18524 (No record type): SAU, AP AGK 22.
- <M1> SSF44925 (No record type): AP: AGK 22.
- <S2> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. OS OS/66189 180-1 23-JUL-1966.
- <S3> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2543/15 (4578/09) 28-MAY-1990.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Aug 20 2013 2:29PM