Monument record NBN 007 - Ring ditch of unknown date and function, visible as a cropmark.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2697 4422 (51m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||NEWBOURNE, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Ring ditch, circa 23m diameter, (single)(S1)(S2).
A ring ditch of unknown date and function is visible as a cropmark on aerial photographs, centred on circa TM269442, Newbourne parish. The ditch is circa 1.5 metres wide and encloses an area circa 20 metres in diameter. A similar ring ditch is visible circa 210 metres to the north-west. It is possible that both ring ditches are the remains of round houses of later prehistoric date, and are associated with the trackways visible in the immediate area (see NBN 007 and NBN 020). (S3-5)
- <R1> SSF16488 (No record type): Post Office Research Centre, Martlesham Heath, AP, Run 1, HSL UK 70 1034 26 June 1970, photo 0150, (.
- <S1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, AP CJG 32, July 1979.
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. APs: SAU AFZ 23; CUCAP CJG 32.
- <S2> SSF20932 (No record type): SAU,AP AFZ 23.
- <S3> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2644/1/284 (SF1685) 12-JUL-1979.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 26 2014 1:02PM