Building record SEN 073 - Church Cottage
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3237 8300 (14m by 12m)|
|Civil Parish||ALL SAINTS AND ST NICHOLAS, SOUTH ELMHAM, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Church Cottage is a timber-framed domestic house that consists of two early-17th century phases of construction, one of which may incorporate elements of a mid-16th century building. A central brick chimney separates a hall of 1610 to its right (north-east) from a rebuilt parlour of c.1630 to its left. The eaves of the hall were initially lower than those of the parlour but the existing symmetrical façade has been achieved by raising its front wall (the original height remains to the rear) and by replacing a northern service bay with a small rear wing. This pattern of evolution is very common in Suffolk, but a pair of carved ceiling corbels in the hall, bearing two sets of initials and the date 1610, is a rare feature of particular historic interest. The house was originally thatched, possessed a spiral stair behind its chimney, and contained an attic room that was lit by a window in its parlour gable (S1)(S2).
- <S1> SSF59286 Unpublished document: Alston, L.. 2005. Outline Survey of Historic Fabric: Church Cottage, St Nicholas South Elmham.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Aug 27 2019 4:41PM