Monument record LVT 001 - 8 Round Barrows on Levington Heath
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2422 4053 (25m by 25m)|
|Civil Parish||LEVINGTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
8 Round Barrows on Levington Heath.
1959: Diameter 24 yds, height 2 ft, no visible ditch. Spread, lightly ploughed (S1).
Barrow - spread by ploughing (1962). 18.0m diameter, 0.20m maximum height. 1981: Not visible under crop (S1).
1983: Destroyed (S1).
1991: Said to be ploughed and at risk. Entire area bisected by new A45 - Felixstowe road. Area of barrow sites under barley and only 2 overgrown bridlepaths unaccessible. No visual sign of barrow under crops (S3). January 1992: Not visible, completely flattened (S2).
1993: Area of barrow clearly defined by circular area c.16m diameter, light coloured, sandy patch (S4).
A Bronze Age round barrow is visible on aerial photographs of 1944 as an earthwork and later as a cropmark on Levington Heath, Levington parish, centred on circa TM24224054 (S5 - S7). The barrow is visible as a mound circa 20 metres in diameter, but no clearly defined ditch, berm or external bank can be seen. By 1987 the barrow is visible only as a pale cropmark (S7).
- <M1> SSF42960 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <R1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM24SW16.
- <S1> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <R2> SSF5522 Bibliographic reference: Martin, E.. 1981. The Barrows of East Anglia.
- <S2> SSF993 (No record type): Bamford H (DOE), site visit, January 17 1992.
- <S3> SSF21763 Unpublished document: Suffolk Preservation Society. 1991. Suffolk Preservation Society Survey. Suff Pres Soc Survey, 1991.
- <S4> SSF5681 (No record type): EH, Scheduling information.
- <S5> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/LA/15 3045 28-MAY-1944.
- <S6> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 58/637 5097 19-APR-1951.
- <S7> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. OS 87/146 8947-8 11-SEP-1987.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (6)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Corbishley M J) (Ref: DOE (Corbishley M J)) (ESF13798)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Paterson H) (Ref: DOE (Paterson H)) (ESF13533)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by EH (Ref: EH) (ESF13934)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by SAU (EM) (Ref: SAU (EM)) (ESF12861)
- Event - Survey: Survey by OS (Ref: OS) (ESF14473)
- Event - Interpretation: The Aggregate Landscape of Suffolk: The Archaeological Resource (NMP) (EXS18925)
Record last edited
Jun 7 2019 10:58AM