Monument record LVT 002 - 8 Round Barrows on Levington Heath
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2444 4054 (26m by 25m)|
|Civil Parish||LEVINGTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
8 Round Barrows on Levington Heath.
1959: Diameter 28 yds, height 3 ft. No visible ditch. Lightly ploughed (S1).
1962: Bowl barrow much reduced by the plough. 23m in diameter, 0.6m high. 1981: Visible under crop (S1)
1983: Destroyed (S1).
1992: Still visible as low mound, between 25-40cm high, in field (S2). 1993: Visible as low mound c.0.3m high and c.22m diameter (S3).
A Bronze Age round barrow is visible on aerial photographs of 1944 as an earthwork and later as a cropmark on Levington Heath, Levington parish, centred on circa TM24434053 (S4 - S5). The barrow is visible as a mound circa 15 metres in diameter, but no clearly defined ditch, berm or external bank can be seen. By 1987 the barrow is visible only as a pale cropmark (S7).
- <R1> SSF15269 (No record type): OS. card TM24SW20A.
- <M1> SSF42961 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S1> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <R2> SSF5522 Bibliographic reference: Martin, E.. 1981. The Barrows of East Anglia.
- <S2> SSF993 (No record type): Bamford H (DOE), site visit, January 17 1992.
- <S3> SSF5673 (No record type): EH Scheduling information.
- <S4> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/LA/15 3045 28-MAY-1944.
- <S5> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. OS 87/146 8947-8 11-SEP-1987.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (5)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Corbishley M J) (Ref: DOE (Corbishley M J)) (ESF13799)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Paterson H) (Ref: DOE (Paterson H)) (ESF13534)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by EH (Ref: EH) (ESF13935)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by SAU (EM) (Ref: SAU (EM)) (ESF12862)
- Event - Survey: Survey by OS (Ref: OS) (ESF14474)
Record last edited
Jun 7 2019 10:59AM