Monument record LVT 004 - 8 Round Barrows on Levington Heath
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2486 4044 (25m by 25m)|
|Civil Parish||LEVINGTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
8 Round Barrows on Levington Heath.
1959: Diameter 23 yds, height 2 ft. No visible ditch. Very spread, ploughed (S1).
1962: One of a group in a cabbage field - not visited. Apears to be much reduced and spread by the plough. 'A' is barely discernable. 1977: Mound height 0.37m, diameter circa 20m.
1981: Visible under crop. Height less than above (S1).
1983: Destroyed (S1).
1992: Still visible as low mound, between 25-40cm high, in field (S2). 1993: Still visible, 0.3m high, 30m diameter, with surrounding ditch c.3m wide (S3).
A possible round barrow of Bronze Age date is visible on aerial photographs as cropmarks on Levington Heath centred on TM24864045, Levington parish, to the north of the previously recorded barrows LVT 005-6. The remains of a possible mound, approximately 20 metres in diameter, is visible as a pale cropmark area on aerial photographs of 1987 (S4). This small group appears to be part of a much larger complex of barrows on Levington Heath.
- <M1> SSF42963 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S1> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <R1> SSF5522 Bibliographic reference: Martin, E.. 1981. The Barrows of East Anglia.
- <M2> SSF42964 (No record type): APs: ACQ 30 & 31.
- <R2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM 24SW21A.
- <S2> SSF993 (No record type): Bamford H (DOE), site visit, January 17 1992.
- <R3> SSF18310 (No record type): SAU, AP ACQ 30,31.
- <S3> SSF5673 (No record type): EH Scheduling information.
- <S4> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. OS/87146 8947-8 11-SEP-1987.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (6)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Corbishley M J) (Ref: DOE (Corbishley M J)) (ESF13801)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Paterson H) (Ref: DOE (Paterson H)) (ESF13536)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by EH (Ref: EH) (ESF13937)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by SAU (EM) (Ref: SAU (EM)) (ESF12864)
- Event - Survey: Survey by OS (Ref: OS) (ESF14476)
- Event - Interpretation: The Aggregate Landscape of Suffolk: The Archaeological Resource (NMP) (EXS18925)
Record last edited
Jun 7 2019 11:10AM