Monument record LVT 006 - 8 Round Barrows on Levington Heath
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2486 4037 (25m by 25m)|
|Civil Parish||LEVINGTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
8 Round Barrows on Levington Heath.
1959: Diameter 30 yds, height 2.5 ft. No visible ditch. Ploughed over 1962: Lies within a cabbage field and was not visited. Approximately 0.3 - 0.5m in height.
1977: Mound height 0.17m, diameter 17m (R1).
1981: Not visible under crop (S1).
1992: Still visible as low mound, between 25-40cm high, in field (S2). 1993: Still visible, 0.25m high, diameter c.27m, with surrounding infilled ditch c.3m wide (S3).
A possible round barrow of Bronze Age date can be seen on aerial photographs as the earthwork and cropmark of a mound centred on Levington Heath at circa TM24874041, Levington parish. The mound can be seen as an earthwork on aerial photographs of 1944, but by 1987 is visible only as a pale cropmark of irregular shape circa 13 metres in diameter (S4). It must be assumed that even by 1944 the mound had been damaged by agricultural activity and had been reduced in size. This is one of a number of probable barrows the immediate area (see LVT 004, 005, 008 and LVT 034), but a number of similar sites are visible on Levington Heath (S5).
- <M1> SSF42967 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S1> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <R1> SSF5522 Bibliographic reference: Martin, E.. 1981. The Barrows of East Anglia.
- <R2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM 24SW21C.
- <M2> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph. APs: ACQ 30, 31.
- <S2> SSF993 (No record type): Bamford H (DOE), site visit, January 17 1992.
- <R3> SSF18309 (No record type): SAU, AP ACQ 30, 31.
- <S3> SSF5678 (No record type): EH Scheduling information, November 1993.
- <S4> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/LA15 3044-5 28-MAY-1944.
- <S5> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. OS/87146 8947-8 11-SEP-1987.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (5)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Corbishley M J) (Ref: DOE (Corbishley M J)) (ESF13803)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Paterson H) (Ref: DOE (Paterson H)) (ESF13538)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by EH (Ref: EH) (ESF13939)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by SAU (EM) (Ref: SAU (EM)) (ESF12866)
- Event - Survey: Survey by OS (Ref: OS) (ESF14478)
Record last edited
Jun 7 2019 11:12AM