Monument record LVT 007 - 8 Round Barrows on Levington Heath
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2486 4025 (25m by 25m)|
|Civil Parish||LEVINGTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
8 Round Barrows on Levington Heath.
Letter & sketch map at IPSMG dated 13.4.25, "I have been digging a barrow on Levington Heath… results nil and am now filling it up again" (S1). Possibly relates to this barrow (note `excavation trench'). 1959: Diameter 121 ft, height 6 ft 6 ins (measured). Mound unploughed with old square "openings" on top. Ditch and berm ploughed over (S2). Excavation trench to centre from S side. 30.0m diameter, 3.0m high. 1962: Covered with bramble and bracken. No visible ditch. 1977: Large central depression, with bracken and bushes; also round edge. Mound height 2.47m, diameter 27m (R1).
1983: Diameter 27m, height 2.47m (S2).
1993: Visible as earth mound 2-5m height; 28m diameter; surrounded by ditch c. 3m wide. Hollow 9m wide in mound surface from S edge to centre dates from 1925 exploration. NGR altered from TM 2485 4025 to TM 2486 4025 (S2).
2005: Due to a covering of vegetation this barrow is not clearly visible on aerial photographs and was therefore not plotted by the National Mapping Programme project.(S3)
- <S1> SSF3047 (No record type): Camber A G, letter & sketch plan at IPSMG dated April 1925.
- <M1> SSF41682 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <R1> SSF5522 Bibliographic reference: Martin, E.. 1981. The Barrows of East Anglia.
- <R2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM 24SW21D.
- <M2> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph. APs: ACQ 30, 31.
- <S2> SSF5241 (No record type): DOE, Scheduling inform.
- <R3> SSF18679 (No record type): SAU, APs ACQ 30, 31.
- <S3> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. OS/87146 8947-8 11-SEP-1987.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (6)
- Event - Intervention: Excavated by Comber A G (Ref: Comber A G) (ESF15359)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Corbishley M J) (Ref: DOE (Corbishley M J)) (ESF13775)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Paterson H) (Ref: DOE (Paterson H)) (ESF13496)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by EH (Ref: EH) (ESF13924)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by SAU (EM) (Ref: SAU (EM)) (ESF12694)
- Event - Survey: Survey by OS (Ref: OS) (ESF14391)
Record last edited
Jun 7 2019 11:14AM