Monument record LVT 008 - 8 Round Barrows on Levington Heath
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2496 4028 (25m by 25m)|
|Civil Parish||LEVINGTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
8 Round Barrows on Levington Heath.
Diameter 21.0m, height 0.8m.
1962: In fair condition, no visible ditch. Under cultivation. 1977: Mound height 0.39m, diameter circa 25m (R1).
1981: Impossible to assess (S1).
1983: Destroyed (S1).
1992: Still visible as low mound, between 25-40cm high, in field (S2). 1993: Still visible as low mound, height 0.4m; diameter c. 22m. Surrounded by ditch c. 3m wide. NGR altered from 2496 4029 to 2496 4027 (S1).
A probable barrow of possible Bronze Age date is visible as both an earthwork and cropmark on aerial photographs of 1944 (S3) and 1987 (S4), centred on circa TM24974028, on Levington Heath, Levington parish. By 1987 the location of the mound is visible as a pale cropmark of roughly circular shape approximately 12m in diameter. No evidence for a ditch or outer bank is visible on the available photographs. A number of further probable barrows are visible to the north east on Levington Heath.
- <M1> SSF41680 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <R1> SSF5522 Bibliographic reference: Martin, E.. 1981. The Barrows of East Anglia.
- <S1> SSF5681 (No record type): EH, Scheduling information.
- <R2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM 24SW21E.
- <M2> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph. APs: ACQ 30, 31.
- <S2> SSF993 (No record type): Bamford H (DOE), site visit, January 17 1992.
- <R3> SSF18309 (No record type): SAU, AP ACQ 30, 31.
- <S3> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/LA15 3044-5 28-MAY-1944.
- <S4> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. OS/87146 8947-8 11-SEP-1987.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (5)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Corbishley M J) (Ref: DOE (Corbishley M J)) (ESF13774)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Paterson H) (Ref: DOE (Paterson H)) (ESF13495)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by EH (Ref: EH) (ESF13923)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by SAU (EM) (Ref: SAU (EM)) (ESF12693)
- Event - Survey: Survey by OS (Ref: OS) (ESF14390)
Record last edited
Jun 7 2019 11:15AM