Monument record LVT 015 - Probable Bronze-Age barrow, visible as cropmarks.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2304 4086 (25m by 25m)|
|Civil Parish||LEVINGTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||NACTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Double ring ditch or small circular enclosure, outer circle 45m diameter. N of railway line N of smaller ring ditch, LVT 021 (S1).
A probable barrow of Bronze Age date is visible as cropmarks on aerial photographs in Nacton parish,centred on circa TM230408. The inner ditch is about 2 metres wide, with a diameter of approximately 18 metres. No evidence for a central mound can be seen on the aerial photographs and any central features have probably been destroyed by ploughing. The outer ditch is much narrower and has a diameter of circa 30 metres. A much smaller barrow is visible roughly 15 metres to the south east (LVT 021). (S3, S4, S5).
- <S1> SSF18442 (No record type): SAU, AP AFZ 2, 1977.
- <M1> SSF46898 (No record type): APs: AFZ 2;. (S2).
- <R1> SSF7759 (No record type): IPSMG ? slide.
- <S2> SSF6228 (No record type): Farrands, AP 168.8.1977.
- <S3> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM2340/19/76 (1658) 12-JUK-1979.
- <S4> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. OS/89199 018 02-SEP-1982.
- <S5> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM2340/7 (RHF 11490) 15-JUL-1977.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Mar 3 2015 10:01AM