Building record COM 065 - Barn at the Old Rectory
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0371 5626 (9m by 11m)|
|Civil Parish||COMBS, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
The Old Rectory is a substantial grade II-listed Gault brick house of late-Georgian appearance approximately 1.5 km south-west of Combs parish church. A Gault brick barn to the south of the house is an addition of the late-19th century that is not shown on the plans or the Ordnance Survey of 1885. The building currently faces a newly constructed gravel drive on the west and a garden on the east, but formerly adjoined a pasture and a small yard. The western elevation contains a tall central entrance in the standard manner and the lack of arable land on the property suggests it was used as a hay barn. Within a few years of its construction a Gault brick lean-to was added to the rear, eastern elevation, and much of the original rear wall was subsequently removed or rebuilt. The lean-to has recently been demolished and the rear wall partly reinstated with cement blocks and weatherboarding as part of an unfinished conversion into stable units (S1).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Apr 15 2019 4:29PM