Monument record LVT 021 - Possible Broze-Age barrow, visible as a small ring ditch cropmark.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2306 4084 (26m by 25m)|
|Civil Parish||LEVINGTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||NACTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Ring ditch (single), circa 16m diameter - adjacent to LVT 015, N of railway line (S1).
A ring ditch, approximately 13 metres in diameter, is visible on aerial photographs as a cropmark centred on circa TM23064083, in Nacton parish. The ditch is narrow (probably under 1 metre) and only partially visible on the aerial photographs, the formation of the cropmark probably partly retarded by deeper soils. The ring ditch probably enclosed a barrow of Bronze Age date, possibly a satellite burial to the larger barrow LVT 015, immediately to the north west. (S2, S3, S4)
- <S1> SSF18441 (No record type): SAU, AP AFZ 2.
- <M1> SSF42955 (No record type): AP: AFZ 2.
- <S2> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM2340/19/76 (1658) 12-JUK-1979.
- <S3> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. OS/89199 018 02-SEP-1982.
- <S4> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM2340/7 (RHF 11490) 15-JUL-1977.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jan 4 2017 11:06AM