Monument record OKY 003 - Medieval moated area.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1569 7793 (211m by 188m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||BROME AND OAKLEY, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
"Moated area 150 feet x 90 feet - LS or EMed". Visible faintly on APs (S1). Low earthworks in permanent pasture, consisting of: (a) rectangular moated platform surrounded by a shallow dry moat and with a low external bank on the N side; (b) a linear depression, parallel with the small watercourse bounding the N edge of the field, that was probably a fish pond.
1988 Broads ESA monitoring: Moat layout well defined in grass field. Some poaching but site in reasonable condition. Earthworks in good condition, except for mole infestation on moated platform. Modern cattle building on W side of field (S2).
- <R1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM17NE1.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: map.
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, map 28.
- <S2> SSF1587 (No record type): Broads ESA file, 30.12.15.
- <R2> SSF300 (No record type): AP, 106G/UK/1589 4343-4.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jul 23 2021 12:54PM