Monument record CAM 040 - Cavenham Quarry, Cavenham (Mesolithic).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||TL 7601 7266 (point)|
|Civil Parish||CAVENHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
1998: Evaluation. Certainly evidence of Neolithic site, from features, pottery and flint, also some flints which appear to be Mesolithic in date (S1), Blades, core rejuvination flakes and saw tooth blades from pits and buried soil. Possibly residual.
Area also contains undated bank features, which may be associated with WW2 'Tuddenham' airfield. For more details see (S3).
2001: Excavation on the valley floor - flints of Neolithic date (S2).
See also (Undated, Neolithic and Bronze age records), (S3, S4).
- <S1> SSF51334 Unpublished document: DG. 1998. Eval report. Cavenham Quarry, Cavenham.
- <S2> SSF52222 Unpublished document: Bales, E.. 2005. Ass report. Cavenham Quarry., Cavenham.
- <S3> SSF55361 Article in serial: Martin, E.A., Pendleton, C. & Plouviez, J.. 1999. Archaeology in Suffolk 1998. XXXIX (3).
- <S4> SSF59348 Personal Correspondence: Cutler, Hannah. 2019. Personal Observations as part of the Enhancement of the Suffolk HER for the Palaeolithic & Mesolithic Periods project.
- <S5> SSF59354 Bibliographic reference: Billington, L, P.. 2016. Lithic Scatters and Landscape Occupation in the Late Upper Palaeolithic and Mesolithic: A Case Study from Eastern England.. M 926.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Sep 17 2020 12:38PM