Monument record THD 006 - Hestley Hall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 146 680 (180m by 196m) Centred on|
|Civil Parish||THORNDON, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Moat. Square with associated rectangular enclosures, occupied. N end of Hestley Green (S1).
Also in same complex, `The Mount', ? dovecote.
There are three moated areas. One has three sides of a broad square moat and the other two appear to have been one extended oblong divided in half by a water trench. To the east is The Mount: a small island with a central pond, surrounded by a moat, said to have been a moated dove-house.
Three sides of a near-square waterfilled moat lie to the south west of the hall on level ground. The arms average 40.0m long by 10.0m wide with the north arm shortened by recent tipping. No trace of the NE arm is visible and no evidence of a building was seen within the enclosure.
The linear pond at TM 1468 6814 was once a fish pond, according to the owner, and the other water features centred TM 1468 6806, which have been partly destroyed by ploughing, appear to be field drainage ditches only. No trace of any buildings was seen within these former enclosures.
The Mount (name confirmed) a moated mound centred TM 1472 6815 measures overall approximately 26.0m square with the mound 2.6m high and the ditch 1.6m deep. 16/17th century peg tile and brick was seen in the build of the mound, and the suggestion that it was once a dovecote is known to the farmer, but no ground evidence survives to support this
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM16NW10.
- <S2> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. Victoria County History, Suffolk (VCH). 617.
- <S3> SXS50145 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. 1984. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. DOE (HHR) Hartismere RD Apr 1950 122.
- <S4> SSF56644 Index: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Object Name Book Reference. ONB 1925 (letter from Rev H A Harris Jan 1925).
- <S5> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Feb 23 2022 1:43PM