Monument record TYN 032 - Ring ditch, circa 35m diameter. Lying just SE of rectilinear field boundary complex TYN 031
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2904 3786 (63m by 61m)|
|Civil Parish||TRIMLEY ST MARTIN, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Ring ditch, circa 35m diameter. Lying just SE of rectilinear field boundary complex TYN 031 (S1).
Preh pottery found just to S during pipeline monitoring - see TYN 069.
A possible Bronze Age round barrow or late prehistoric or Roman period round house site is visible as the cropmark of a ring ditch on aerial photographs, located at TM29033787, to the east of the trackway and enclosure TYN 031. The ring ditch is on average 2 metres wide and encloses an area of up to 29 metres in diameter. The ring ditch could enclose the site of a small Bronze Age barrow or a possible Prehistoric or Roman hut site, but the diameter of the feature makes the former potentially more likely. (S2-S3)
Brief refernce/detail in S4.
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. AP: CUCAP BPV 58.
- <S1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, AP BPV 58, 1974.
- <S2> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. Essex C C, Strachan D, AP, CP/96.16.14, June 1996.
- <S2> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2938/24 (EXC 16929/14) 13-JUN-1996.
- <S3> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2837/8 (21334/06) 30-JUL-2001.
- <S4> SSF50250 Article in serial: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. PSIAH 39 (1), p.100.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jul 26 2013 10:50AM