Monument record OTY 002 - The Mount; "Otley Barrow" (Med)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 203 544 (322m by 354m)|
|Civil Parish||OTLEY, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Otley - The Mount. Formerly known as Otley Barrow.
Motte and Bailey. Bailey ploughed out. Also two enclosures (S1)(S2), rather detached from motte - see Un.
1911: Circular motte, 20 ft high with flat summit, surrounded by fosse nearly three feet deep, which has been almost levelled on the W, although easily traced by depression in the ground, and to the SW the fosse has been destroyed by a broad clearance.... Another fosse branches from that of the mount on the S side.... (S4).
1963: Sherds, glass from field drains (S3)(R1).
Motte broad & flat-topped. VCH suggest bailey was on N side but appear to be traces on SE (see Un)(S4).
1973: Motte 50m diameter, 4m high, ditch 16m wide, 0.8m deep, spread by plough (S3)(S5).
1976: Ditch further spread, baily visible in some places in field to SE of motte. 1:2500 map shows break in motte ditch to NW (S3).
1981: Mound covered with trees and dense shoulder high nettles - impossible to penetrate (S3).
1986: On E side of motte ditch is clipped by plough and is only 20-30cm deep and dry. It is wet and approx 1m deep to the SW, where it is joined by a field (or older?) ditch. No ditch is visible to the N. Motte is covered with deciduous trees and scrub plus the dead stumps of felled trees. Rabbit and mole holes are fairly frequent. A slight E-W bank is visible across the S end of the field SE of the motte (S3).
Concentric outer mound also shown on 1st ed OS map (S6), circa 100m diameter.
Also see LSax brooch from a `barrow' (CRN 04144).
April 1998: Scheduled area slightly revised - details in (S3).
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. AP: CUCAP HN 80; SAU ADG 1.
- <S1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, AP HN 80.
- <R1> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 963-55, 1963.
- <R2> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. Pevsner N, Buildings of Suffolk, 1961, 357.
- <S2> SSF18378 (No record type): SAU, AP ADG 1.
- <M2> SSF46900 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <R3> SSF15287 (No record type): Owles E and Smedley N, PSIA, 29, 1963, 352.
- <S3> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <S4> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. VCH Suffolk 1. 602.
- <S5> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM25SW2.
- <S6> SSF12865 (No record type): OS, 1st edition, 1 inch map, sheet 50 (old series), Eye, 1837.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Jun 26 2009 10:10AM