Monument record SRL 001 - St Mary's Church (Un)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 107 587 (85m by 119m)|
|Civil Parish||STONHAM EARL, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
"within the yard is a tumulus" (S1)(R1)(R2).
"on the N of the church is an extensive barrow" (R1)(R2)(S1) - near which grey ware was found. For bibliography see SRL 003.
`To the north of the church is an extensive barrow, in the vicinity of which urns of a grey colour are found, and within the churchyard is a tumulus' (S2).
Centred at TM 10805884 and 10.0m north east of St Marys Church,
is a barrow-like mound measuring some 15.0m across with a maximum
height of 0.3m, topped by a small yew tree. The feature lies 200.0m
below the false crest of a gentle southerly slope, surrounded by
much higher ground. This topographic situation casts doubt on the
'tumulus classification. Information obtained from Mr Mascal of the
adjoining Church Farm corroborated by Mr Longwood the curate,
states the feature to be a spoil mound comprising dumped building
rubble from the church tower, which was rebuilt after a fire in the
19th century. No trace of a possible barrow to the north could be
found, although Mr Mascal has found burnt areas and Medieval
pottery in the fields around the church. These finds and slight
non-surveyable disturbances in the fields suggest a small area of
Medieval settlement, of which the present 16th century farmhouse
is the only survivor. (S3)
- <R1> SSF22879 (No record type): Watling H, IPSMG, C19.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, cards TM15NW19 & 20, 1977.
- <S2> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. Victoria County History, Suffolk (VCH). 317.
- <R2> SSF6604 (No record type): Fox G E, `Roman Suffolk', Arch J, 57, 1900, 160-161.
- <S3> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 GJM 31-JAN-79.
- <S4> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jun 8 2021 1:48PM