Monument record HLM 003 - Helmingham Hall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 186 576 (498m by 362m)|
|Civil Parish||HELMINGHAM, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Moat. Square, occupied, close to church. Fish ponds and enclosures. Rectangular enclosure around old walled garden on SW side (S1)(R1).
Helmingham Hall falls into four periods, c.1485-8, c.1750, 1800 and 1841 (S2)(S3). There is a moated walled garden (c. 1.8ha) contemporary, if not older, than the hall `built by Lionel Tollemache' (S2).
Three (C17?) red hanging wall tiles simulating brickwork, from outer walls of Hall in IPSMG (S4).
All situated in deer park of 162 ha - see HLM 018 (S5).
According to printed guide (no details) garden moat is thought to predate house moat and evidence of Saxon material together with an internal stockade was found (S5). This may be (?) a confusion with the finds from `The Wilderness' - see HLM 004. Details in (S6).
See also (R1).
Features visible on Lidar. See associated files.
- <R1> SSF10510 (No record type): Leaflet, `Some Notes on Helmingham and the Tollemaches', undated.
- <R1> SSF23225 Unpublished document: Williamson,T. & Taigel, A.. 1992-1994. A Survey of Historic Parks and Gardens in Suffolk.
- <S1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, AP HN 83.
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. AP: CUCAP HN 83.
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM15NE15.
- <S3> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. Pevsner N, Buildings of England: Suffolk, 1961, 237.
- <S4> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 1935-92, 1935.
- <S5> SSF4889 (No record type): Cushion B, July 1995.
- <S6> SSF5731 (No record type): English Heritage, Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England: Pt 39 Suff.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
May 12 2021 9:25PM