Monument record FLK 009 - Bronze-Age round barrow, visible as a cropmark.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2888 3864 (22m by 22m)|
|Civil Parish||FALKENHAM, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Ring ditch circa 20m diameter. The smaller of a pair of ring ditches (FLK 009 and FLK 010), with a curving trackway, FLK 002, touching the S edge. Also near ring ditches FLK 003 and FLK 005 (S1)(S2).
A possible round barrow of Bronze Age date can be seen on aerial photographs as a cropmark ring ditch, centred on circa TM28883864, in a field to the south of Back Lane, Falkenham parish. The ring ditch is approximately 2 metres wide and 22 metres in diameter. The south side of the feature appears to be crossed by the trackway recorded in FLK 002. However, the trackway ditch cannot be seen crossing the central area of the ring ditch and may have made use of the feature if it was extant. This suggests the track post-dates the ring ditch. Ring ditch FLK 010 can be seen 25 metres to the south-east, ring ditch FLK ??? Circa 20 metres to the north-west. (S4, S5)
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. APs: CUCAP BPV 59, BUZ 28; SAU AGK 18, ACQ 19,20; (S3).
- <S1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, BPV 59, BUZ 28.
- <S2> SSF18519 (No record type): SAU, AP AGK 18, ACQ 19, 20.
- <S3> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. Essex C C, AP, CP/97/37/19 & CP/97/38/4 & 5, July 1997.
- <S4> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2838/25 (EXC 16929/12) 13-JUN-1996.
- <S5> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2838/33 (21365/19) 30-JUL-2001.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jul 19 2013 2:18PM