Monument record FLK 010 - Bronze-Age round barrow, visible as a cropmark.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2891 3861 (28m by 32m)|
|Civil Parish||FALKENHAM, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Ring ditch circa 30m diameter, S of and adjacent to ring ditch FLK 009. Within an area of linear cropmarks & crossed by trackway FLK 002 (S1).
A possible round barrow of Bronze Age date can be seen on aerial photographs as a cropmark ring ditch, centred on circa TM28913861, in a field to the south of Back Lane, Falkenham parish. The ring ditch is approximately 1.5 to 2 metres wide and approximately 26 metres in diameter, although it is slightly irregular in shape. The north side of the feature appears to be crossed by the trackway recorded in FLK 002. The trackway's southern ditch can be seen crossing the central area of the ring ditch, but the northern ditch may have made use of the feature if it was extant as an earthwork. Regardless, the course of the track, avoiding the area of a central mound suggests that the track post-dates the ring ditch. Ring ditches FLK 009 and FLK ??? Can be seen to the north-west. (S4, S5)
- <S1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, BPT 87, 1974.
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. APs: CUCAP BPT 87; (S2).
- <S2> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. Essex C C, AP, CP/97/37/19, July 1997.
- <S3> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2838/25 (EXC 16929/12) 13-JUN-1996.
- <S4> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2838/33 (21365/19) 30-JUL-2001.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jul 19 2013 2:18PM