Monument record PSG 048 - Fishpond, Chipley Priory, Poslingford
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7629 4978 (50m by 42m)|
|Civil Parish||POSLINGFORD, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
TL 76294978 Fishpond (NR) (S1)
Three fishponds were visible near the site of Chipley Priory according to Messent, although in 1950 the Field Investigator only saw one feature that resembled a fishpond (at TL 76294978). Dickinson, in 1956, stated that the present Chipley Priory farmhouse was partly surrounded by a moat and two of the old fishponds also remained. (See TL 74 NE1 for associated Chipley Priory). (S2-S4)
The large fishpond east of Chipley Abbey is spring fed and measures 54.0m. long and 20.0m. wide. It's northwest end is connected to a dry, arm, 12.0m. wide and 1.0m. deep, which forms part of a fishpond complex not a moat, as suggested by Authority 4.
A pond to the north is unrelated and of later date. From the south-east end of the major fishpond, a small stream issues, and is ditched around a natural hollow along the fall line. Restriction of the stream would cause a large pond to form in the hollow, and it is therefore possibly the site of another stew Published 1:2500 survey revised. (S5)
- <S1> SSF59886 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1968. OS 6".
- <S2> SSF11165 Bibliographic reference: Messent, C.J.W.. 1934. The Monastic Remains of Norfolk and Suffolk (Use this SFF record).
- <S3> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 AC 3-OCT-50.
- <S4> SSF5116 Bibliographic reference: Dickinson P G M,. 1956. Little Guide of Suffolk.
- <S6> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F2 GJM 21-NOV-79.
- <S7> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Dec 18 2020 4:01PM