Monument record CDD 009 - Coddenham Baylham Roman Site (IA)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1175 5279 (51m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||CODDENHAM, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Part of large Rom settlement CDD 003, excavated prior to destruction by A45 construction (S1).
1973 site: Icenian silver coin; late IA gully; Belgic well - LT III brooch & further brooches, silver coin, gold plated bronze coin of Dubnovellaunus. Cut into gravel were C1 hut circles (IA or Rom?) associated with drainage gulleys land rubbish pits. Sealed by 2nd/3rd century occupation (precis)(S2)(S3). Exact location of 1973 excavation in (R1).
1975 - (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) - ditches, pottery.
See also Mes, Neo, Rom.
- <M1> SSF38406 (No record type): Excavation archive: 1975 excavation.
- <R1> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 1973-98, 1973.
- <S1> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <M2> SSF38407 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM15SW1, 1975.
- <S3> SSF5233 (No record type): DOE, Archaeological Excavations 1973, HMSO London, 1974, 58-59.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Dec 30 2019 1:11PM