Monument record BAY 007 - Cropmark of a large ring ditch/circular enclosure, circa 80m diameter, cut by the railway line.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1084 5287 (92m by 92m)|
|Civil Parish||BAYLHAM, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Large ring ditch/circular enclosure, circa 80m diameter, cut by the railway line (S1-3)(R1).
Detailed magnetometer survey was carried out over 9 hectares of an 11.7 hectare site. The northern part of the survey has defined the location of part of a large ring ditch previously identified from cropmarks. The diameter of the feature is estimated at c. 90m, suggesting a circular enclosure rather than the ring ditch of a funerary monument (S4).
- <S1> SSF18795 (No record type): SAU, APs AED 8, ABD 26, ACZ 7, AJE 15.
- <R1> SSF3835 (No record type): Colchester Archaeol Group, Bulletin 18, 1975, map 1, 15.
- <M1> SSF47043 (No record type): APs: AED 8, ABD 26, ACZ 7, AJE 15 & (S2).
- <S2> SSF6233 (No record type): Farrands, AP 172.2, 1977.
- <S3> SSF50023 Photograph: Farrands. Air Photograph. Farrands RH, APs, 119.3 (47 & 48), 16 July 1974.
- <S4> SSF50313 Unpublished document: Hancock, A.. 2007. Geophysical Survey: Baylham Barrow Cemetery, Baylham, Suffolk.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jun 7 2013 3:28PM