Monument record BRF 002 - Poplar Ridge, (Early Prehistoric), (IAS 8105).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||TM 1322 4697 (point)|
|Civil Parish||BRAMFORD, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
1954: Artefacts, Mesolithic or Late Palaeolithic Scatter. One tranchet axe, 18 blades, large rejuvenator. From hill overlooking Bramford (S1-S4).
Jacobi, (S4) suggests that this tranchet axe actually comes from "no. 2 Pit" (BRF 001 or BRF 011), However more recent research by Billington places it here, (S5)
- <S1> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 1954-51, 1954.
- <S2> SSF55934 Index: Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service. 1974. Ipswich Archaeological Survey Card Index (digital version).. IAS 8105.
- <S3> SSF50068 Index: Suffolk Archaeology Unit. 1974. SAU index card and Archive. IAS 8105.
- <S4> SSF59353 Digital archive: Jacobi, R.. 2014. Palaeolithic and Mesolithic Lithic Artefact (PaMELA) database. 258, 11605.
- <S5> SSF59354 Bibliographic reference: Billington, L, P.. 2016. Lithic Scatters and Landscape Occupation in the Late Upper Palaeolithic and Mesolithic: A Case Study from Eastern England.. M 900, P 167.
- <S6> SSF23378 Bibliographic reference: Wymer, J.J. & Bonsall, C.J.. 1977. Gazetteer of Mesolithic sites in England and Wales, CBA Research Report 20. 254.
- FSF49853: LONG BLADE (Terminal Palaeolithic (Ahrensburgian, Long Blade) - 9700 BC to 9400 BC)
- FSF6850: TRANCHET AXEHEAD (Mesolithic - 9000 BC to 4000 BC)
- FSF6851: CORE REJUVINATION FLAKE = CORE TABLET (Terminal Palaeolithic (Ahrensburgian, Long Blade) - 9700 BC? to 9400 BC?)
- FSF6852: CRESTED BLADE (Terminal Palaeolithic (Ahrensburgian, Long Blade) - 9700 BC? to 9400 BC?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jul 23 2020 12:35PM