Monument record HNN 002 - Larkhall Heath; RAF Honington (Un)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9000 7505 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||HONINGTON, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
One of two `Tumuli' (also FKM 006) shown on OS 1st edition in 1837 (S3)(R1). Tumulus still visible in young corn, but practically ploughed out in 1936 (S1).
Similar description of this tumulus given on reverse of photograph of FKM 006 and gives date of 6 June 1936 (S2).
Unable to trace 1951 (S2).
Basil Brown notes the site of this tumulus and adds "Marked on 1837 OS map" (S4).
Site of barrow is now level ground and is crossed by the security fence of RAF Honington. The erection of a new fence in 1992 was monitored, but nothing was found (S5).
- <R1> SSF12433 (No record type): OS, 1 inch map, 1st ed, sheet 50, 1837.
- <S1> SSF12817 (No record type): OS, 1936.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: map, volume.
- <S2> SSF12818 (No record type): OS, 1951.
- <S3> SSF12295 (No record type): NWHCM, Suffolk parish records, Fakenham, 1936.
- <S4> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, map 15; XCVI, 21.
- <S5> SSF10941 (No record type): Martin, E.A.. Martin E, SAU, 1992.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 4 1995 12:00AM