Monument record SPT 007 - Valley Farm
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1149 4333 (101m by 100m)|
|Civil Parish||SPROUGHTON, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Pottery scatter, some C1. Found in sandpit.
22 February 1950: Basil Brown visited this site and gives the following information: At Valley Farm are two pits, one of which is still being worked and from which Rom sherds have come, not in large quantities. Black and grey ware, brown handle of amphora. Some complete or nearly complete urns were seen by workmen but were destroyed. (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) of Kings Gate is keeping site under observation. Possibly a Roman road runs nearly (S1).
Visited site 11 March 1950, picked up pottery fragments from destroyed urns - on one there were incised lines - possibly Sax. Portion of top stone of conglomerate quern found and retained by (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) (S1).
Oct 1950: HER Spencer(IPSMG) reports, orally - 'Fragments of Roman pottery have been recovered from the NW corner of the pit, on the N side of the lane, SE of Valley farm' (S5). He goes on (separate entry?) to report 'I visited this site whilst a mechanical drag-line was removing topsoil. At TM 1148 4333 I found numerous potsherds of coarse grey and black native wares and the fragments of over half a pot together with a small iron object, much corroded, which may have been part of a fibula or buckle. Finds were made at approx 182 below ground level. Most of the pottery, previously reported as from this site, had been found immediately to the south of site as shown on 62 Field Sheet and Rec. 6".' (S5).
Also see SPT 008 for further material possibly from this pit.
OS records and marks the findspot clearly at TM 1148 4333 (S4)(S5; refers to B Brown, Ipswich Museum map), in SW area of pit).
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, XCVI, 137.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volume.
- <S2> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 1948-210, 1948.
- <S3> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 1950-182, 237, 1950.
- <S4> SSF50026 Map: OS. OS Map. OS Record map, 1950s?.
- <S5> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM14SW7.
- <S6> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- <S7> SSF56034 Article in serial: Smedley, N. and E. J. Owles. 1959. Archaeology in Suffolk, 1959. XXVIII.2, pp. 161–167..
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jun 2 2021 11:35AM