Monument record SPT 008 - Valley Farm Sand Pit (IA)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 116 432 (100m by 100m)|
|Civil Parish||SPROUGHTON, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Three pits with IA pottery. Carinated bowl (R2). Quarried away (S1).
1958: 'TM 116 432 Clearance by bulldozer at Valley Farm uncovered a pit with Late Bronze Age (?) sherds, three pits with Iron Age 'A/B' pottery including a hanging bowl, and a Romano-British (probably 1st century) cremation in an urn, with the base of two other pots.(Ipswich Museum, Clarke Demolition Co, & AR Wiseman). Finds now in Ipswich Museum IM 958-229).' (S2, S3).
It seems likel that this information actually relates to the pit to the NW (SPT 007, which Basil Brown states was the only one of the two pits at Valley Farm still being worked in 1950) rather than the 'Sproughton Sand Pit' to the SE.
See also BA, Rom.
- <R1> SSF261 (No record type): Ant J, 68, 189, fig 69.
- <S1> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 958-229, 1958.
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM14SW7.
- <S3> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Archaeol in Suffolk 1958, PSIA 38 (1), 1959, 95.
- FSF11041: POTTERY (Iron Age - 800 BC? to 42 AD?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
May 27 2010 4:25PM