Monument record WHR 014 - Wherstead Hall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1665 4072 (136m by 108m)|
|Civil Parish||WHERSTEAD, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Moat, roughly square, approximately 100m x 70m, wet on NW and NE sides, remainder filled in. Pasture. SE and SW arms depressions in ground. Causeway across NW arm in N corner. Isolated. 500m from church. (S1) (S2)
A probable Medieval moat is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs, centred on TM 16664072 to the south of Wherstead Hall in Wherstead parish. The area enclosed by the moat measures roughly 55m by 82m and is sub-rectangular in shape. Only the northern, eastern and southern arms are visible on the aerial photographs. (S3) (S4)
- <M1> SSF46566 (No record type): AP: (S1) (S2).
- <S1> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. NMR TM 1640/3 (EXC 19111/08A) 22-JUL-1997.
- <S2> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. NMR TM 1640/4 (EXC 19111/09) 22-JUL-1997.
- <S3> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1635 1332-1333 09-JUL-1946.
- <S4> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1937 4261-4262 18-JAN-1947.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Aug 29 2006 11:50AM