Monument record ARW 008 - Bronze-Age round barrow.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 230 348 (34m by 32m)|
|Civil Parish||ARWARTON, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Large circular ring ditch, circa 28m diameter. Various field boundaries occur a little to the SE, SLY 020 (S1-S4).
The remains of a probable Bronze Age round barrow are visible as the cropmark of a ring ditch on aerial photographs, centred on TM 23063484 just to the south-west of Shotley. The ring ditch encloses an area of 22m in diameter and the ditch itself measures 4m in width. On 12 July 1976 the probable barrow is visible as what look like two concentric ring ditches but it is more likely that the barrow had only one single large ditch and that the extreme drought conditions at this date had led to an unusual growth phenomena, perhaps due to there being more moisture at the edges of the ditch (S6). On other photographs taken in the previous month in June 1976 this phenomena is not visible probably because the drought conditions were probably not so extreme at that point. The size of the ring ditch suggests that it is likely to represent the remains of a ploughed out Bronze Age round barrow. (S1-S7)
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. APs: SAU ACX 22; CUCAP BXI 11 & ZL 64; (S4).
- <S1> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2334/8 (SFU 11552/22) 22-JUN-1976.
- <S2> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP (BXI11) 15-JUN-1976.
- <S3> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP (ZL64) 03-JUL-1959.
- <S4> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2334/32 (EXC 19093/14) 09-JUN-1997.
- <S5> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2235/1 (956/376) 07-JUN-1976.
- <S6> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2334/10 (RHF 11472/147/7) 12-JUL-1976.
- <S7> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2334/16 (3116/1161) 08-JUL-1986.
- FSF23143: (Undated)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 7 2013 1:32PM