Monument record ARW 015 - Bronze-Age round barrow or Prehistoric house site.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2220 3516 (50m by 50m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||ARWARTON, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Causewayed ring ditch circa 20m diameter, traversed by a field boundary and a possible small (circa 10m) ring ditch on NW side (S1).
A possible Bronze Age round barrow or Prehistoric/Roman hut site is visible as the cropmark of a ring ditch on aerial photographs, located at TM 22203516 in a field to the north of Erwarton. The ring ditch encloses an area of 14m in diameter and a substantial gap is visible on its southern side. (S1-S3) The size of the ring ditch suggests that it could be the site of a small Bronze Age barrow or a possible Prehistoric or Roman hut site. The gap in the ring ditch could represent where the entrance to the hut was located or could represent an entrance to a ritual site. (S4)
- --- SSF60019 Article in serial: Colchester Archaeological Group. 1977. Colchester Arch Group Bull 20 1977.
- --- SSF60064 Article in serial: Colchester Archaeological Group. 1977. Colchester Arch Group Bull 20 1977.
- <S1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP (BXI14) 15-JUN-1976.
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. AP: CUCAP BXI 14.
- <S2> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2235/32 (RHF 1933/25) 09-JUN-1980.
- <S3> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2235/17 (4630/83) 30-MAY-1990.
- <S4> SXS50100 Verbal communication: Newsome, S.. 2001 -. Suffolk Coastal NMP Project. Sarah Newsome 03/12/03.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 29 2021 2:39PM