Monument record WLV 003 - A possible Bronze Age round barrow is visible as a ring ditch on aerial photographs to the west of Harkstead Lane in Woolverstone parish
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1789 3841 (25m by 25m)|
|Civil Parish||WOOLVERSTONE, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Ring ditch circa 30m diameter. A short length of field boundary connects at the N and runs NE (S1)(S2)(S3).
A possible Bronze Age round barrow is visible on aerial photographs as the cropmark of a ring ditch located at TM 17903842 in a field to the west of Harkstead Lane, Woolverstone. The ring ditch encloses an area of approximately 26m in diameter and is slightly sub-circular. Its size and location close to another ring ditch (WLV 004) suggest that it may represent the remains of a ploughed out Bronze Age round barrow. (S4) The ring ditch is located within a Post Medieval field system (WLV 040). (S5)
- <S1> SSF18213 (No record type): SAU AP AED 7, 1975 (Copy of Mrs I McMasters AP).
- <M1> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph. AP: AED 7.
- <S2> SSF2916 (No record type): Bull Coll Arch Group 18, 1975, 25.
- <S3> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM13NE25.
- <S4> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. NMR TM 1738/40 (EXC 16928/05) 13-JUN-1996.
- <S5> SXS50100 Verbal communication: Newsome, S.. 2001 -. Suffolk Coastal NMP Project. Sarah Newsome 19/08/03.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jul 22 2016 4:13PM