Monument record WLV 004 - A possible Bronze Age round barrow is visible as a ring ditch on aerial photographs to the west of Harkstead Lane, Woolverstone
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1794 3841 (24m by 24m)|
|Civil Parish||WOOLVERSTONE, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Ring ditch circa 20m diameter, close to WLV 003. A few short lengths of field boundary meet the circumference at various points (S1)(S2)(S3).
A possible Bronze Age round barrow is visible as the cropmark of a ring ditch on aerial photographs, located at TM 17953842 to the west of Harkstead Lane, Woolverstone parish. The ring ditch encloses an area of approximately 20 metres in diameter. Its size and location close to a larger ring ditch ( WLV 003) suggest that it may be the remains of a ploughed out Bronze Age round barrow. (S4) (S5) The ring ditches are located within a Post Medieval field system (WLV 040). (S6)
- <S1> SSF18411 (No record type): SAU, AP AED 7, 1975 (copy of Mrs I McMasters AP).
- <M1> SSF50071 Photograph: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Air Photograph. AP: AED 7.
- <S2> SSF2916 (No record type): Bull Coll Arch Group 18, 1975, 25.
- <S3> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM13NE25.
- <S4> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. NMR TM 1738/40 (EXC 16928/05) 13-Jun-1996.
- <S5> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 1738/47 (21699/06) 13-AUG-2002.
- <S6> SXS50100 Verbal communication: Newsome, S.. 2001 -. Suffolk Coastal NMP Project. Sarah Newsome 19/08/03.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jul 22 2016 4:13PM