Monument record IPS 157 - Augustinian Priory, Christchurch Park, Ipswich, SPECULATIVE.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 166 449 (132m by 176m)|
|Civil Parish||IPSWICH, IPSWICH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (8)
- PRIORY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WALL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FLOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- INHUMATION (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- Discrete Monument (Ipswich UAD) (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- AUGUSTINIAN MONASTERY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- COMMEMORATIVE STONE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Priory of the Holy Trinity, said to be mainly between Christchurch Mansion and St Margaret's Church.
Foundation of Austin Canons, established ? 1162. Monastery rebuilt 1194 after fire. Well endowed. Suppressed 1536/1537 (S3).
1980: An Ipswich Church of the Holy Trinity is mentioned in the Domesday Book. Small excavation 1980 in Mansion buttery, stub of priory wall and remains of flagstone floor found.
1990: AP shows Post Medieval garden feature plus ?faint parchmarks of buried walling ? (S1).
2006: Evaluation on groundworks associated with the restoration of Christchurch Park in 2006. A total of eleven medieval inhumation burials were recorded, 10 located immediately to the west of St Margaret's churchyard wall. The distribution of the burials suggests that the original churchyard wall extended at least 10m to the west of the present boundary wall. One outlying grave to the north may be associated with the former priory rather than St Margaret's church. The remains of three possible medieval wall foundations were also exposed, possibly representing remains of the priory (S2).
2008: Watching Brief.
[letter, number] refers to mentions in the Suffolk Council Archaeological Service Ipswich Documentary Card index, (S7).
Holy trinity priory (and lands of), 1154
For further information see (S9)
A small portion of ancient walling exists here circa eight metres long and 1.5 metres high, built of flint, pebbles, and liberally bolstered with brick rubble. The lower part of the wall seems to be original, as it consists of several courses of large pebbles and flints set in mortar without any evidence of later repair. (S10)
"The site of a portion of wall of Holy Trinity Priory, situated in Bolton Lane. This wall was demolished when the houses were
- <S1> SSF11751 (No record type): NAU, AP, TM1645/B/GFB3, August 1990.
- <S2> SSF53667 Unpublished document: Wessex Archaeology. 2008. Christchurch Park Restoration Project, Ipswich, Suffolk. Archaeological Watching Brief.
- <S3> SSF50048 Bibliographic reference: Victoria County History of Suffolk (Vol I 1911; Vol II 1907). VCH Suffolk, 2, 103.
- <S4> SSF45053 (No record type): Excavation File:.
- <S5> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 1920-54.93 (key).
- <S6> SSF45054 (No record type): AP: NAU, TM1645/B/GFB3.
- <S7> SSF57771 Index: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Ipswich Documentary Card index.
- <S8> SSF57698 Unpublished document: IPSMG. Ipswich Museum Extension Books.
- <S9> SSF59241 Web Page: Loon, Borin van. 2019. Withypoll memorials.
- <S10> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 WMJ 22-OCT-50.
- <S11> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- <S12> SSF60034 Personal Correspondence: Various. Oral information, correspondence (not archived) or staff comment. Mr F Woolnough Curator and Secretary of Ipswich Museum.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (12)
- Archaeological Deposit: Deposit, Christchurch Park, Ipswich. (ESF24778)
- Archaeological Deposit: Deposit, Christchurch Park, Ipswich. (ESF24773)
- Archaeological Deposit: Deposit, Christchurch Park, Ipswich. (ESF24774)
- Archaeological Deposit: Deposit, Christchurch Park, Ipswich. (ESF24775)
- Archaeological Deposit: Deposit, Christchurch Park, Ipswich. (ESF24776)
- Archaeological Deposit: Deposit, Christchurch Park, Ipswich. (ESF24777)
- Event - Intervention: Evaluation and Borehole Survey, Christchurch Park, Ipswich. (ESF20704)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation, Christchurch Mansion, Ipswich, (IAS 7804). (ESF23981)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation, Ipswich St. Margaret's, Christchurch Park, Ipswich, (IAS 7807). (ESF23976)
- Event - Interpretation: Ipswich UAD, Documentary Search (ESF25673)
- Event - Intervention: Monitoring? Christchurch Park Car Park, Ipswich, (IAS 7808). (ESF23978)
- Event - Intervention: Watching Brief, Christchurch Park, Ipswich. (ESF23989)
Record last edited
Aug 25 2021 3:15PM