Monument record FSG 001 - Neolithic artefact scatter of pottery and flints found in dark earth patches (Neo)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8375 6855 (100m by 100m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||FORNHAM ST GENEVIEVE, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Pottery from a sand pit being worked in April 1965 by Allen Newport Limited was reported by Kenneth Landymore, nephew of the dragline driver. Basil visited pit and found remains of a hearth filled with black earth, 3 feet 3 inches across (see section) which he excavated, finding more pottery and worked flints. He notes that there were seven other black areas in the vicinity but no pottery was seen in these. The pottery was described at IPSMG as Fengate ware but from Basil's sketches these could be from a collared urn.
The grid reference TL 844 684 previously recorded as find site does not agree with the position marked on BB's OS map, nor with his location description and the site has now been altered to the present grid reference (S1)(S2). An alternative grid reference TL 8381 6871 is the location of a second mark on BB's map but this does not match up with his written description (S1). Bronze Age pottery was found at the same time on this site (S3).
- <R1> SSF15297 (No record type): Owles E, PSIA, 32, 1970-72, 96.
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, map 46, XXIX, 9-14, card index 134.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown Archive: map, volume.
- <S2> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, cards L970-8, 1972-149.
- <S3> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL86NW12.
- <S4> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Mar 9 2021 1:58PM