Monument record FSG 001 - Bronze Age artefact scatter of pottery and flints found on dark earth patches (BA)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 8375 6855 (100m by 100m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||FORNHAM ST GENEVIEVE, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Pottery from a sandpit worked by Allen Newport Limited in April 1965 was reported by Kenneth Landymore, nephew of the dragline driver. Basil visited pit and found remains of a hearth filled with black earth, 3 feet 3 inches across (see section), which he excavated, finding more pottery and worked flints. He notes that there were seven other black circular areas in vicinity but no pottery was seen in these. The pottery was described at IPSMG as base and body sherds of BA pot, but the plain pottery was claimed by BB as Beaker and the sherds with twisted cord impressions, claimed as Fengate ware, but might be from a collared urn. Sketches of pottery and section of hearth are shown in BB's notebook. Grid reference TL 844 684 previously recorded as find site does not agree with position marked on BB's OS map nor with his written location description and the site has now be altered to the present grid reference (S1)(S2).
An alternative grid reference TL 8381 6871 is the location of a second mark on BB's map but this does not match up with his written description (S1). Neo pottery was found at this site at the same time (S3).
- <R1> SSF15297 (No record type): Owles E, PSIA, 32, 1970-72, 96.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown Archive: map, volume.
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, map 46, XXIX, 9-14, card index 134.
- <S2> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, cards L970-8, 1972-149.
- <S3> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL86NW12.
- <S4> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Mar 9 2021 2:01PM