Monument record IPS 170 - Debenhams, Waterloo House, 1-10a Westgate St. and 5 Cornhill, Ipswich, (IAS 0701).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1621 4471 (76m by 115m)|
|Civil Parish||IPSWICH, IPSWICH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
1977: Saxon Pits, circa 10m back from frontage. Saxon? Ditch along pavement edge. (S1, S3)
Previous archaeological knowledge of this part of the town was limited to the redevelopment of Debenhams, (lying directly to the east of IAS 0703, IPS 297), in 1977. A total redevelopment of this major area of the town had been undertaken with only the briefest chance to excavate. (S2)
Kept as a separate monument to differentiate from Medieval Cemetary (IPS 781, formerly a duplicate of IPS 170)
- <S1> SSF55934 Index: Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service. 1974. Ipswich Archaeological Survey Card Index (digital version).. IAS 0701.
- <S2> SSF50815 Unpublished document: Boulter, S & Loader, T. 1993. Excavation Report, Crown and Anchor Site, Westgate Street, Ipswich (IAS 0703).
- <S3> SSF50068 Index: Suffolk Archaeology Unit. 1974. SAU index card and Archive. IAS 0701.
- FSF43564: POTTERY THETFORD (IPS: Early Late Saxon to 12th century - 850 AD to 1100 AD)
- FSF43565: POTTERY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FSF43566: POTTERY EARLY MEDIEVAL (IPS: Middle Late Saxon to 13th century - 1000 AD to 1200 AD)
- FSF43567: POTTERY IPSWICH (Middle Saxon to IPS: Early Late Saxon - 650 AD to 850 AD)
- FSF43568: POTTERY ST NEOTS (IPS: Early Late Saxon to IPS: Early Medieval - 850 AD to 1150 AD)
- FSF43569: OYSTER SHELL (Undated)
- FSF43570: COMB (Saxon - 410 AD? to 1065 AD?)
- FSF43571: UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Undated)
- FSF43572: BOTTLE (Undated)
- FSF43573: QUERN (Undated)
- FSF43577: HUMAN REMAINS (12th century to 13th century - 1100 AD to 1299 AD)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Survey: Borehole Survey, Waterloo House, 1-10a Westgate St. and 5 Cornhill (ESF24693)
- Archaeological Deposit: Deposit, Waterloo House, 1-10a Westgate St. and 5 Cornhill (ESF24695)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation, Debenhams, Waterloo House, 1-10a Westgate St. (IAS 0702) (ESF23320)
- Event - Intervention: Excavation, Debenhams, Waterloo House, 1-10a Westgate St. and 5 Cornhill, (IAS 0701) (ESF23319)
Record last edited
Jun 2 2017 2:52PM