Monument record WMP 001 - Wenham Castle; Little Wenham Hall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0807 3907 (185m by 207m)|
|Civil Parish||WENHAM PARVA, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Wenham Castle (was Hall), Grade I listed, extensively restored in 1981, located S of present Little Wenham Hall.
Fortified brick manor house, L shape plan, built circa 1270-80 with alterations in C16. Wet moat. Two storey stone vaulted ground floor with Tudor roofed banqueting hall over. Chapel of St Petronilla with piscina, aumbry. Flint, early Flemish brick and ashlar. Embattled parapet and turret termination to winding stair to roof.
1981: Whole site in superb condition, brickwork completely free of any creeper. Major Binny says that the monument was used a farm building before being bought and restored by his grandfather (S9).
1985: He has been told that it was once complemented by a free-standing hall and a free-standing kitchen within the moated area. The moat certainly encloses a much larger area than that of the standing building (S9). Note numerous C13(?) bricks used in multi-material construction of Hall (S10).
For re-interpretation see (S11).
Wenham Hall shown on Ogilby's map, 1675 (S12).
Features visible on Lidar. See associated files.
- <S1> SSF10128 (No record type): Journal Brit Archaeol Assoc, NS 34, 1928, 31.
- <M1> SSF45637 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S2> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. Pevsner N, Buildings of England, 1961, 43, 44, 314 (ill).
- <S3> SSF5215 (No record type): DOE (HHR), Samford R D, July 1950, 31.
- <S4> SSF5135 (No record type): Dickinson P G M, Suffolk Little Guide, 1957, 354 - 357.
- <S5> SSF22279 (No record type): Turner, Domestic Architecture.
- <S6> SSF21404 Bibliographic reference: Smith, Faulkner & Emery. 1975. Med Domestic Architecture. p. 88.
- <S7> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM03NE4,.
- <S8> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, AP HC 34, 1951.
- <S9> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <S10> SSF3723 (No record type): Clifton-Taylor A, The Patterns of English Building, 1972.
- <S11> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Martin E, 'Little Wenham Hall: A Reinterpretation', PSIAH, 39(2), 1998, 151-164.
- <S12> SSF50054 Map: Ogilby John, Britannia, 1675.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Intervention: Monitoring of 12 small pits for tree planting, Wehnam Castle (Ref: OASIS-johnnewm1-241108) (ESF23415)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Healy F) (Ref: DOE (Healy F)) (ESF13866)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Paterson H) (Ref: DOE (Paterson H)) (ESF13650)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by OS (Ref: OS) (ESF13224)
Record last edited
Mar 1 2022 9:58AM