Monument record ETT 002 - Old Rectory
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0549 4669 (119m by 129m)|
|Civil Parish||ELMSETT, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Moat, half an ellipse. W edge of Elmsett Green. Complete, wet, entrance in N side, occupied. Formerly Elmsett Rectory, late C15, externally C18/C19. 550m from church (S1)(S2)(R1).
Large moat, wedge-shaped, water-filled ditches, trees along the edges of the island. Entrance causeway in middle of N side (moat has a short out-turn flanking the E side of the causeway. Large house in the interior, eccentrically placed in relation to the arms of the moat. Remains of an orchard to S of the house (S3).
5 January 2001: Scheduled, details in (S4).
- <M1> SSF50016 Scheduling record: English Heritage. Scheduled Ancient Monument file. (S4).
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM04NE5.
- <R1> SSF5125 (No record type): Dickinson P G M, Suffolk (Little Guides), 1957, 144.
- <S2> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. VCH Suffolk 1. 608.
- <S3> SSF19403 (No record type): SAU, Martin E, 1995.
- <S4> SSF50080 Unpublished document: English Heritage. Scheduling information.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jul 13 2007 11:47AM