Monument record BUX 006 - Church of St Mary
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0030 5765 (50m by 121m)|
|Civil Parish||BUXHALL, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Church, St Mary's. A church plus 30 acres and half acre meadow are listed in Buxhall in the Domesday survey (1086)(S1)(S2). Consists of chancel, N vestry, nave, S porch and W tower. Main structure C14 tower dated 1392 (from will).
1597: Described as `decayed', C17 chancel roof.
Circa 1944: Cropmark of ? Church seen by Rev H Copinger-Hill in lawn to north of present church. Mortar supposed to have been found. Also graves south of cropmark, north of church (S4).
1950s: Restoration exposed stoup in S porch. Parish stocks are preserved in the porch (S3).
- <S1> SSF3293 Bibliographic reference: Cautley H M. 1975. Suffolk Churches. Cautley H, Suffolk Churches, 1937, 251.
- <S2> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. Pevsner N & Radcliffe E, The Buildings of England: Suffolk, 1974 (2nd ed), 157-8.
- <S3> SSF6999 (No record type): Goult W, A Survey of Suffolk Parish History: E Suffolk A-H, 1990.
- <S4> SSF50006 Unpublished document: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. Site Report. Martin E A, SCCAS, May 1980.
- <S5> SSF50106 Photograph: Air Photographs. NAU, TM 003 576, JGF 2-3, 20 July 1992.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jan 16 1997 12:00AM