Monument record SLD 004 - Church of King Charles the Martyr (Med)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0035 6022 (54m by 67m)|
|Civil Parish||SHELLAND, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Church of King Charles the Martyr.
There are no recorded Domesday churches for the parish of Shelland, but it is thought to be one of two churches documented for the parish of Harleston (S2).
Church mainly of 1767 (Pevsner) but some fragments probably Med: NW and SW quoins and also possible lancet windows. All re-used, not in situ. Isolated, central to S edge of green.
Shelland listed as a chapel of Haule (Haughley) in 1254 (S1). See also PMed.
- <S1> SSF22083 (No record type): The Norwich Taxation of 1254, REv Wm Hudson `Norfolk & Norwich Archaeological Society, Vol XVII, 82.
- <M1> SSF50051 Unpublished document: Church File. Church index:.
- <S2> SSF50087 Bibliographic reference: Dymond D and Martin E. 1999. An Historical Atlas of Suffolk (revised edition). Scarfe N, Domesday Churches.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jun 13 1995 12:00AM