Monument record WDN 002 - "New Gravel Pit" Wetherden
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9948 6243 (100m by 100m)|
|Civil Parish||WETHERDEN, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
1956: Flakes from a `new' gravel pit(S1). Originally recorded as Neolithic, Roger Jacobi recorded these as being similar to the Terminal Palaeolithic Long Blade site at Ivry Street in Ipswich (IPS 002), (S1-S4).
1980: Long Blade found, (reported to Portable antiquities scheme), recorded as Mesolithic, length suggests Terminal Palaeolithic, (S5, S6).
No further details found in Ipswich Museum Accession registers September 2020.
- <S1> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 956-99, 1956.
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL96SE3.
- <S3> SSF55968 Article in serial: Smedley, N. and F. A. Aberg. 1957. Archaeology in Suffolk 1957.
- <S4> SSF59353 Digital archive: Jacobi, R.. 2014. Palaeolithic and Mesolithic Lithic Artefact (PaMELA) database. 339, 5676, 5678.
- <S5> SSF50104 Digital archive: Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service. Portable Antiquities Database. SF-285D99.
- <S6> SSF59348 Personal Correspondence: Cutler, Hannah. 2019. Personal Observations as part of the Enhancement of the Suffolk HER for the Palaeolithic & Mesolithic Periods project.
- <S7> SSF59354 Bibliographic reference: Billington, L, P.. 2016. Lithic Scatters and Landscape Occupation in the Late Upper Palaeolithic and Mesolithic: A Case Study from Eastern England.. P 231.
- <S8> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- FSF14292: BLADE (Terminal Palaeolithic (Ahrensburgian, Long Blade) - 9700 BC? to 9400 BC?)
- FSF51584: FLAKE (Terminal Palaeolithic (Ahrensburgian, Long Blade) - 9700 BC to 9400 BC)
- FSF51586: LONG BLADE (Terminal Palaeolithic (Ahrensburgian, Long Blade) - 9700 BC to 9400 BC)
- FSF51587: CONVEX END SCRAPER (Terminal Palaeolithic (Ahrensburgian, Long Blade) - 9700 BC to 9400 BC)
- FSF52223: SCRAPER (TOOL) (Terminal Palaeolithic (Ahrensburgian, Long Blade) - 9700 BC to 9400 BC)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Intervention: Casual observation? "New Gravel Pit" Wetherden (ESF28110)
- Event - Intervention: Casual Observation? "New Gravel Pit" Wetherden (ESF28202)
- Archaeological Deposit: Deposit "New Gravel Pit" Wetherden (ESF28334)
- Event - Interpretation: Enhancement of the Suffolk HER for the Palaeolithic & Mesolithic Periods (ESF26899)
Record last edited
Mar 31 2021 11:59AM