Monument record ASG 008 - Ashfield House
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9992 6815 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||ASHFIELD CUM THORPE, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||GREAT ASHFIELD, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Stone Cross (inscribed).
The stone is 10 feet 6 inches high and has a repaired breakage. Set in a socket-stone, 22 inches x 6 inches (? C18). The top is wheel-headed and has a cross with four equal arms cut in the centre (possibly done when the cross was re-erected). The N and S sides of the stem bear a continuous vine- scroll pattern. On the E side a panel contains the inscription "REG DOURIVIAG'. Floral decoration on sides suggests a date of circa 1250. Made of Barnack stone (S1).
The cross is said to have formed a bridge across the stream at the entrance to Gt Ashfield churchyard and to have been moved to Ashfield House by Lord Thurlow ( died 1806).
1980: Barnack stone cross, found re-used as a footbridge and re-erected circa 1800 in the grounds of Ashfield House. Stands about 10 ft high on a stone plinth (C18?) about 9 x 14 ins square. The floral decoration on each side suggests a date of circa 1250. There are remains of an inscription, now indecipherable but worth more study. Two sides are worn and a plain equal- armed cross has been carved on the top of one (presumably when it was re- erected). The stone broke in 3 when it was being re-erected and was mended with iron and lead clamps which are now in need of attention. Otherwise the cross is as described in 1930, in a sheltered corner of a garden (S2). 1981: Cross as described above. Lead and iron clamps still in need of attention. Green fungus is beginning to cover front of cross (S2). 1986: NE and SW faces of cross dished. Breaks recently re-mortared and re- clamped. Shaft held to plinth by lead clamps (S2)(S3).
Med cross mentioned in Pevsner at Asfield-Cum-Thorpe (S4) almost certainly mislocated.
- <M1> SSF37015 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S1> SSF4038 (No record type): Copinger Hill H, Great Ashfield Cross, PSIA, 20, pt 3, 1930, 280-286, and plate.
- <R1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL96NE29.
- <S2> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <S3> SSF50044 Source Checked: Suffolk Record Office. Great Ashfield, 2000, SRO(B).
- <S4> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. Pevsner, Buildings of England, Suffolk, 1961-1967.
- <S5> SSF50026 Map: OS. OS Map. OS 1:2500 1973.
- <S6> SSF50211 Bibliographic reference: West, S.E.. 1998. A corpus of Anglo-Saxon material from Suffolk (EAA 84).
- <S7> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 PAS 26-MAR-81.
- <S8> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Mar 30 2021 9:36AM