Monument record BAA 008 - Anglo-Saxon artefact scatter in a cemetery.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9945 6934 (100m by 100m)|
|Civil Parish||BADWELL ASH, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Cemetery, mixed, found in 1922? - in gravel workings? 30-40 skeletons. 6 shield bosses, 6 iron spearheads, 3 knives, iron ferrule from spear shaft. Urn with bosses and pendant triangles, C5. (Not much after AD 450, but small for a cremation, such things do occur with early inhumation graves (R2)). Mislocated on B Brown's map.
In May 1935, (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) found an Anglo Saxon blue and white glass bead at this site. On later visits in 1946 and 1951, Basil Brown was informed that other urns similar to the one in IPSMG had been found but had broken up and not been retained. (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s), site foreman, had actually kept a small coarse pot but although he had a drawing of this, it had since broken up and had been thrown away. He also reported that at the bottom of a 6 feet deep trench filled with black earth, bronze buckles and rings had been found but as these were thought to have been old harness, no care was taken to preserve them (S1).
- <R1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL96NE28.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volumes, map.
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, XLIX, 9-12; LXIV, 2,3,5,6; LXVII, 21; XCIII, 99,101; XCVI, 73,110,111; map 63.
- <R2> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card 1935-100; 971-1.
- <R3> SSF11635 (No record type): Myres, 5/3/73.
- <R4> SSF6262 (No record type): Farrer Rev E, Ant J, 1923, 375.
- <R5> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 18, 1924, 164.
- <R6> SSF11007 (No record type): Maynard, G.. Maynard G, PSIA, 25, 1951, 206.
- <R7> SSF11101 (No record type): Meaney, A.. 1964. A Gazetteer of Early Anglo-Saxon Burial Sites. Meaney A, Gaz EAS Burial Sites, 1964, 224.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Mar 30 2021 9:28AM