Monument record GSG 001 - Medieval moat.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 078 732 (272m by 249m)|
|Civil Parish||GISLINGHAM, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Moat. Square, unoccupied, isolated, next to parish boundary in Moatyard Plantation. Investigated by Basil Brown and Rev T Pytches, by permission of Lord Henniker, in 1938, when a probe was used to define site. They decided this was probably the site of Heigham Hall, a C13 manor house which once belonged to the de Belliecampo family (S1)(S2).
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, II, 19,178; XX, 14-16; XXV, 9,10; XCVI, 18; card index 143; map 61.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volumes, card index, map.
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM07SE6.
- <S3> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. Victoria County History, Suffolk (VCH).
- <S4> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments.
- <S5> SSF60150 Map: Brown, B.. Annotated Record Map Corr 6".
- <S6> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Jan 21 2022 3:34PM