Monument record GSG 006 - Swattesfield Hall: Swattisfield Hall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 087 718 (149m by 133m)|
|Civil Parish||GISLINGHAM, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Moat, isolated, near parish boundary.
Portion of moat, formerly part of moat around Swattesfield Hall (as mapped by OS from 1800s till 1920s). Two arms extant, large (exterior?) pond to S, two sides may show as orchard boundary on OS. Probable originally square. Shown surrounding Swattesfield Hall with further buildings outside moat to N & NE (S1)(S2). All buildings gone by 1950s OS mapping.
Mapped by Hodskinson in 1783 as a range of buildings and named Swatsal Hall (S5)
Swatshall Hall manor: held by William de Gislingham in 13th century; owned by Richard de Chirche in 1380; links with Thornham Parva in 14th century; owned by John Wiseman in 1555 and by the Bedingfield family in 17th century.
Swatshall Hall allegedly rebuilt by Charles Bedingfield in 18th century. Attempted arson suspected (circa 1843) - barn and stables extensively damaged (S4).
2008: base of walls (& well) survive but affected by large tree growth in places - see photos in emails (S6).
Possibly extends as crop mark to NE - see (S1).
- <S1> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. OS., AP, 73 093 114, 1973.
- <M1> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. AP> (S1).
- <S2> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25".
- <S3> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S4> SSF50019 Bibliographic reference: Goult W. 1990. A Survey of Suffolk Parish History. E Suffolk vol 1.
- <S5> SSF7563 Cartographic materials: Hodskinson, J.. 1783. The County of Suffolk surveyed.
- <S6> SSF50153 Bibliographic reference: Email. Norman J to Pendleton C, 8 April & 20 May 2008, ill.
- <S7> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. Victoria County History, Suffolk (VCH).
- <S8> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 JRL 07-DEC-73.
- <S9> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jan 21 2022 3:50PM