Monument record MLS 007 - Iron-Age settlement site. (IA)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0912 7507 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||MELLIS, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Prehistoric settlement site on field NW of bridged ford on S facing slope discovered in pipeline trench in July 1955. Sections in pipeline revealed hut site 15 feet in diameter with central sunken circular hearth containing three large burnt stones at base and filled with black earth, pottery and flints. Pottery included IA sherds heavily gritted, and worked flints and flakes. On S side of hut site was a ditch or pit filled with dark soil and to the N there appeared to be a "furnace" lined with burnt clay and filled with black earth and worked clay (S1)(S2)(R1).
Also Neo, BA.
- <R1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM07NE21.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volumes, card index, map.
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, V 73-77 79 81; LXXI 137 139; XCI 165; XCVI 56; card index 213; map 32.
- <S2> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card.
- <S3> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Apr 20 2021 2:56PM