Monument record NYW 005 - Wissington Ring-Ditch Cluster
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 959 332 (317m by 325m)|
|Civil Parish||NAYLAND-WITH-WISSINGTON, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Wissington Ring-Ditch Cluster.
Two large ring ditches (80-100 feet, circa 30m, in diameter) and twelve smaller (between 5 & 10 m) circles (all single rings) (S2)(S3)(S4).
1981: Field ploughed to 10 inches (S1).
1986: Field under sugar beet at time of visit. Two ring-ditches just possibly visible as slight rise in crop. This would have to be very verified after harvest. Scatter of struck flint and weathered brick/tile fragments along S edge of field, brick/tile only along N and E edges. Centre of field inaccessible (S1).
- <M1> SSF46576 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <R1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL93SE56.
- <S1> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <R2> SSF21588 (No record type): St Joseph J K, Air Reconnaisance: Recent Results, 3, Ant 39, 153, 1965, 63, plate 14a.
- <M2> SSF46577 (No record type): Barrow index:.
- <S2> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, APs, BJS 35, July 1972; CJC 73, 75, 1979, ZL96, 1959 C.
- <M3> SSF46578 (No record type): APs: (S2)(S3)(S4)(S5).
- <S3> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR, AP TL 9633/5/212, 1980.
- <S4> SSF11082 (No record type): McMasters, I.. McMasters Mrs, APs 153a, 1980, 192, 1989.
- <S5> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- <S5> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. 1 GJM 20-DEC-79.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Mar 17 2021 10:47AM