Monument record BXF 008 - Church of St Mary
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9626 4050 (70m by 73m)|
|Civil Parish||BOXFORD, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Church of St Mary.
Mainly Decorated and Perpendicular, C14 tower, with modern spire and lantern. C14 N porch of wood. C15 stone S porch (S1)(S2).
New clerestorey windows inserted on S side in 1875, interior thoroughly restored in 1886 (S2).
A measured drawing and written description of the frieze over the west Doorway (S3) concludes that the top c.3m was rebuilt. For illustrations see report.
Grade A Listed Building (R2).
- <S1> SSF3293 Bibliographic reference: Cautley H M. 1975. Suffolk Churches. Cautley H, Suffolk Churches and their Treasures, 1937, 226-227.
- <R1> SSF5141 (No record type): Dickinson P G M, Suffolk, The little Guide, 1957, 76.
- <R2> SSF11394 (No record type): Min of H & L G, List of buildings, 2018/11/A, 15.
- <S2> SSF50040 Bibliographic reference: Barker, H. R.. 1907. West Suffolk Illustrated. 35-36 (photograph).
- <S3> SSF18989 Unpublished document: Boulter S. 1997. Record of Archaeological Recording, St Marys Church , Boxford. SAU, Boulter S, Archaeological Recording Report No 97/28, April 1997.
- <R3> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL94SE10.
- <R4> SSF6209 (No record type): Excursions 1982, PSIA, 35, 1983, (3), 243.
- <S5> SSF50250 Article in serial: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. PSIAH 37(3) 1991 p265.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 16 2017 11:44AM