Monument record MDN 004 - Wells Hall
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 946 473 (191m by 108m)|
|Civil Parish||BRENT ELEIGH, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||MILDEN, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Moat. Square, all wet except S corner. Island approximately 40 x 35m, whole 60 x 60m. Dry fish pond to E. Occupied, has a good C16 gateway. Once seat of the Shoreland and D'Ewes families. Isolated, bissected by parish boundary with Brent Eleigh. Circa 1400m to Milden church, circa 1000m to Brent Eleigh church. The C16 gateway is built of brick and is in the wall that flanks the road running past the site. The opening is opposite the moat causeway.
1312 P. de Denarston has free Warren.
1560 R. Thorpe owns.
C16th/17th Appears absorbed by Abbots Hall. (S1)
- <R1> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. VCH Suffolk 1. Wall J C, 606.
- <S1> SSF58981 Suffolk County Historic Environment Record: Suffolk County Council Sites and Monuments Record: Wells Hall.
- <R2> SSF5139 (No record type): Dickinson P G M, Suffolk little guides, 1957, 87.
- <R3> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. Pevsner N, Buildings of England Suffolk, 1961, 103.
- <R4> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL94NW5 (ill),.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Apr 9 2019 2:00PM